By:

Susan Appleton

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Reflections On This Class

Well, I did a bit of reflecting in one of the previous posts below, but let me take a moment and really think about where I was and where I am now since I've taken this course LIBS 602.  Let me just admit something right now and get it out in the open:  technology intimidates me sometimes!  Yep, there ya' go I admit it.  I have always been afraid of trying new technology things because usually when I do I either get flustered with it and confused OR I download something that puts some sort of junk on my computer that I can't get off!  So at the beginning of this course, I was very nervous when I heard about some of the things we were going to be doing and there were honestly some nights when I would work on stuff and get so upset that I'd be a bundle of nerves and tears, but after taking a break from it and getting myself together, I would go back and labor through it and give myself "pep talks" saying things like "You can do this Susan, just try!"  Sometimes I would get through a project, feel REALLY good about it and then I'd start looking at everyone else's work and feel like mine was pitiful and very basic.  LOL!  But you know what?  I was learning and growing and facing some major technology fears here people, so YES, I had something to be proud of too!  And thank goodness there were some really great friends in this cohort that would answer my questions and help me out because we have one amazing group of people who take the time to support and cheer each other along!  And, like I said in my post below, this experience has not only opened my eyes to some amazing technology tools, but it has taught me to have greater empathy for my students who struggle in MY class.  Now I can realize how they feel and I can be their cheerleader like my friends in this group have been there for me (along with my amazing professor, Dr. Kimmel!).  It really makes a difference to have others helping you along when you feel frustrated and you're trying so hard to learn!  And look at where I am now!  I can blog, make presentations, posters, flyers, etc. and it feels pretty darn good to know that I am progressing and actually LEARNING some technology!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! This class was a challenge! That was a good point you made earlier about this struggle helps us understand how our struggling students feel. Others say it is easy, but some of us need more time. I am excited for all that we will do this school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, Susan. I think all of your work was amazing! And you're right, we have an amazing bunch of ladies that help us carry on through those frustrating times. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete